Thursday, July 25, 2002

Home Alone - and it's not a movie

My friend Jamie - James to his readers - has written a fascinating piece on Singleton Society at spiked-online.

Did you know there are more single that family households in the US? That within five years 20% of single people will be using the internet to find a partner?

I'd probably take issue with Jamie's argument that a highly rarefied commitment to their health and wellbeing is primarily what's stopping people get into lasting relationships. I think it's economics and higher expectations; my Mum's generation needed to leave their parents house and hook-up with someone with a better income than them. Women have more choices now... which may not always be a good thing.

And were Microsoft really surprised that "just over half of the 1500 young women surveyed admitted to obsessing about their weight, while a fifth were permanently unhappy about the state of their bodies"? I could have told them that for way less money than it cost them to do their 2001 survey.

But Jamie writes sharply and fluidly, and whenever I talk to him my mind's buzzing with good ideas. And he didn't even pay me to say that.

No comments: