Tuesday, August 13, 2002

I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls
This closes at the Tricycle Saturday before going on a six week tour. If you get a chance, then see it. A three person, two act play, based on a true story, that looks at relationships, love and independent women (well, one independent woman) against the backdrop of Enniskillen in the thirties. It's slightly slow paced, especially at the beginning, and R, my theatre companion felt less drawn in than I was. I wonder if it's more of a girl-play? I was crying at the overwhelming sense of lost opportunity, and was probably not very good company in the bar afterwards.

With a fast-paced Irish-humour script, and beautifully atmospheric lighting, the play weaves back and forth through time, piecing together Madelyn's life and love-life (and reminded me of a less complex version of After You'd Gone). And Ann Marcuson is spellbinding as Madelyn; it's really her play. And I'm not just saying that because she's my friend. Definitely one to watch for bigger things.

Geek aside: when you google on the play's name, you get sponsored links for granite kitchen work tops. That works, then.

No comments: