Saturday, September 21, 2002

BlogBore?
I had a lengthy talk to today with J about the nature of blogdom - he's a regular reader - and self-disclosure and how he basically thinks I'm not that personal anymore. He wants the full monty - and he'd even pay for it. It could, of course, be that I have a less interesting life than I used to all those... months ago (see, internet time again). I guess there are lots of emotional voyeurs out there, and I'm as much one as the rest of us, but J is disappointed my mention of books and cinema and theatre, seems just about OK about little vignettes about people I meet, but wants the hardcore juicy stuff.

Not sure there is any. But if there was, why should I tell you?

But the question really hangs on the issue why do people blog. I'd be a liar if I said "just for myself", but I would say mostly for myself. That's why I blog my favourite makeup foundation when it's running out, and books I want to read and shows I want to see. And sometimes, I have a lot of crap in my head and just getting it down on (virtual) paper frees my mind from the voices. The voices: there are about 450 conversations going on in my head at any one time. And I have a terrible memory: this way, I don't have stupid post-it notes stuck to my whole life; this is part notebook, part outboard brain, part braindump, part writing experience. I do feel like I can write more fluently now I do it every day. Sure, I'm aware of the audience, but I don't do it for the audience. At the risk of sounding scarily new-agey and hippyish, finding blogger was like coming home: at last, all the little stories, observations, crap, links, ideas that are in my head, have a home. I was hard-wired to write down all my crap in a totally unstructured way.

J thinks I should make it up: fires, murders, passionate threeway sexual liaisons. But then it'll just be like a soap opera. And while my life is fairly interesting - to me, anyhow - it's patently not a soap opera.

I'd really like to know what people think: am I getting boring?

No comments: