Friday, September 20, 2002

Deco Delight
Just about to sit down to eat, but had to post this: two great stories about the art deco foyer of the Strand Palace Hotel coming out of storage to front an Art Deco exhibition at the V&A next year.

All I can find out is that Anna Jackson is working on it, curatorally, and that Carol Hobgen was the brains behind saving the interior intially. But she saved it pre-google (1969) so there's not a lot of information out there.

I had been looking at a picture in (one of my many) art deco books of the Strand Palace foyer for about fifteen years, and always felt angry that no-one had the foresight to save it, or indeed, that they wanted to "modernise" it in the first place. I can't believe that I'm going to get to see it for real. In fact, I think I'm going to email the V&A monday and find out if I can be a volunteer.

No comments: