Wednesday, September 11, 2002

Fame?
So the Saginaw Valley State University - stick with this, it's brilliant - teaches a course on Introduction to Information Design, and has a handout on weblogs, as a background to students setting up their own. Listed under five broad headings (personal blogs, public issues, including warblogs, tech issues, humour and satire, and collective blogs), I fall into the first category: "perhaps the largest category numerically, if not very influential as a category. Emphasis on what the author did . . . "

Now I'm delighted to be mentioned, because it's kinda cool to be in the handout for a minor part of a course somewhere in Minesota (I think; geography's not my strong point) and even cooler that I am like an interactive handout and can comment back to the students.

But I take issue with my categorisation: sure, I talk about what I did. I also talk about public issues (community, politics, shy aware from TWAT), tech (privacy, xcom2002, mobile phones), I like to think I'm both humorous and ocassionally satirical. So Tom/plasticbag.com gets to be a tech blog, when he covers a similar range of subjects to me, although is clearly a better coder. And lots of people I would think of as must-includes aren't there: Ben Hammersley as a tech blog, kuro5hin as a collective blog, B3ta as a collective/humour blog.

I think what it proves is that the very nature of keeping a personal website defies categorisation. That's the point. If I had an editor, I'd have to do what they told me, but while I don't, I'll make hay/coffee/as I want. See. And I don't like being put in a box.

No comments: