Wednesday, September 11, 2002

It's not an anniversary, it's a yahrzeit
I've tried really hard not to read the papers in the last week or so; I find it too upsetting. I'm not sure the world is "changed" as many people say. I just think that it's hard to get my head round the enormity of evil that kills so many innocents. Even though many more innocents are killed in natural disasters or wars in places I've never been too.

I got a cab home from the station Monday, and the cab driver asked me where I'd been, and I said Manchester for Jewish New Year. For some - possibly disturbing - reason, he started talking immediately about fundamentalists:

Cabbie: Them Muslims, they're fanatics
Me: Well, they're not all fanatics. I'm sure it's just a vocal minority
Cabbie: Nahh, they're all nutters
Me: :face implying I don't know how to respond and hoping there's no traffic and I'll be home soon:
Cabbie: How many do you think they're are, then?
Me: Well, I know there are a lot of them, I don't know
Cabbie: Billions, billions. Nutters, all of them
Me: Well -
Cabbie: I had to get a cab home from town, no black cabs, so had to get a private hire vehicle. Never get them, they're not licensed. Anyway, he was an Asian, Muslim. I asked him if he was English first or Muslim first, and he said Muslim and I said "stop the cab right here" and I paid him his money and walked the hour home

I don't know what this says - except that the cabbie must like exercise. But I'm worried about being in a world that has so much hatred; on all sides. God; not only am I a vegetarian, I'm turning into some sort of pacifist.

Oh, and this isn't the piece I'm writing. This is just a random idea that floated into my head during the Today Programme coverage.

No comments: