Monday, September 23, 2002

Noise Pollution
I know I live in zone two and it's not exactly suburban, but it's getting very noisy. We've had helicopters overhead for a while (apparently a Police initiative to overcome burglary), and although I've lived the same three streets away from the trainline for the whole time I've been in this flat (and show me anyone in inner-London who isn't three streets from a trainline) I never used to be able to hear them. Now, a couple of trains an hour seem to hoot (or whatever trains do) as they pass near my house. I think if they're going to move nuclear waste from one place to another, they should at least do it quietly.

And now, there are definitely more planes. I'm sure I'm not on the heathrow flightpath, but I keep talking to people on the phone who think there's interference on my phone technology, when it's a plane. While I wrote this, a plane and two trains went by. Now I grew up on the flightpath at Ringway (as it is affectionately known from its small-airport days: Manchester) and find it therapeutic in some way. Over the weekend, a friend of mine's mother said that her theory is that "they're moving the troops out, that's why there's so many extra planes." But if you were a military officer, would you send your troops on a mission from a commercial airport? Would they queue at security in terminal three?

Aggregate all this with police sirens coming to take people away, and soon, buses drawing up outside my house, and it's getting crazy. All I can say is, it's like Planes, Trains and Automobiles but with very bad sound effects.

No comments: