Thursday, September 19, 2002

Really Bad Day
I'm having a bad day, and it's not a bad hair day. I won't bore you with the details, but I was corresponding last year with the London Transport Authority about a proposed bus shelter outside my house. Doesn't sound bad, I know, and it'll at least be convenient. But me and my neighbours were concerned about safety, broken glass and a host of other things. I'm not a NIMFY - I hope - and understand Transport for London is trying to solve our infrastructure problem, and that apparently bus stops closer together make people use buses more. Go figure. I have no desire to stand in the way of the needs of the community, but I do want my concerns adressed. Anyway, I heard nothing since January, saw a new bus stop go up not twenty yards away and presumed London Buses had agreed with me.

This morning, I awake to drills and neighbours banging on my door; men are erecting a huge fuck-off bus shelter outside my house as I write. For most of the time I was corresponding with London Buses, they had planning permission already. I feel utterly, utterly disenfranchised.

No comments: