Friday, October 04, 2002

I knew that google had changed something: I stopped being the seventh Sasha, and Ben stopped being the fourth Ben, though Luke is still the fourth Luke. And my page rank (only shows if you have the google toolbar) changed from five to six and I didn't do anything. And I started getting a bunch of hits from Dmoz (which I can't be bothered to link to).

Now, that Mark bloke has all the answers: it's a combination of trying to stop googlebombing and weirdness like the "go to hell" trick stopped working (it had Microsoft as it's number one hit), as well as people selling ads based on pagerank. But people are also arguing about whether it's the anchor text (no, I don't know either) or the title that gets searched more. Go figure.

Bottom line: google results are now less meaningful. "People" - whoever they are - now say alltheweb is better.

No comments: