Tuesday, October 29, 2002

I'm such a terrible photographer, that I have no pictorial evidence of Saturday, but luckily Stuart does. And he also tells a mean story:

"With the prior dinner engagement it wasn't possible for me to wear the planned Mickey Mouse costume (yeah, right), so I had settled on a black suit with a white shirt. I thought that this would be reasonable for dinner and then if anyone made an issue of it at the party I would say I was James Bond, or a Reservoir Dog, or indeed any one of tens of black and white film stars.

My pretension was utterly deflated by the innocent, guile-less comment of one of the hostess' friends: "So... are you in costume, or do you always dress like that?" "


So yeah, I had a party. Kinda for my birthday, and kinda because I like to have a party the weekend the clocks change, because you get an extra hour. I was slightly worried that it might turn into a really bad Greek tragedy: you know, in the final scene where everyone comes on stage and ties up all the sub-plots? I had images of barbelites checking out my synagogue attendance with my local community buddies and my weblogger friends wondering who the artsy-musicky people were, who in turn were surprised by the whole Limmud crowd, but it all seemed pretty cool. Although a little like a UK election turnout: about 59% of the people dressed up in some way, many of them very coolly (it was a favourite-fictional-character theme) extremely realistic Nigella, Obewan Knobe, Tigger, bunch of comics characters too cool for me to recognise. My fancy dress? I'm already a fictional character, darling. My neighbour, Jair DJed, with Williams C, and you can see them the firstTuesday of the month at the Notting Hill Arts Club.

And the punch was perfectly girly and lethal - you would expect no less from me - and if you want the recipe, here it is:
One bottle of vodka
Half a bottle of archers
1 or 2 litres of orange juice, depending on your desired lethal potency quotient
Chopped up apples and oranges
That's it: it takes like two and half minutes to make...

And about a day and half to recover from. Or that could just be my age.

No comments: