Monday, November 11, 2002

Donnie Darko
Apparently this movie has cult classic stamped all over it, and I couldn't agree more.

Met P in the Camden, Odeon Town (as I like to call it). I got there a few minutes late, and as he knows I'm often late, he'd gone to wander round. So I'm looking around expectantly, and there's a guy there, obviously going on a blind date, who looks at me expectantly. Is it me? I look at him as if to say "no, Cilla hasn't sent me." He looks like he feels very foolish when P turns up two minutes later. We went and got Thai food at Galangal on Parkway, although I'm not sure their Thai green curry is as good as mine.

Donnie Darko is for every kid who's ever thought they were an outsider. It's a teen movie, in the good ol' John Hughes tradition, and it's a horror-style movie. It's about time travel. It's cool. Although, what I always liked about teen-movies, is that they're kind of an adult free zone, which this film isn't, really. It's a film that makes you think and I haven't yet decided what it really means, so I'll get back to you on that.

IMDB ephemera: Patrick Swayze (yep, he of Dirty Dancing fame) plays Jim Cunningham, the ironic-cult leader. No dancing required.

Personal thoughts: See this movie, now. And then, again. Noah Wyle (ER fame) is the professor, so that's a good enough reason for any - woman - to see this movie. Although the eighties-ness was not as good as I would ideally have liked. And the sister, Elizabeth, is a bit of a cardboard character. And slinkies, in the eighties, were chrome, not plastic. I was there.

No comments: