Thursday, November 07, 2002

Oh, I've got to go out in a minute, and I've got so much to say. Late night Tuedsay night, as drove up to Birmingham with P and the nameless one for A's inaugaural lecture (Making Judges Accountable), and we didn't get back till about 1am. We hired a Vauxhall Astra as P's car was in the shop (I am so transatlantic) and P (bloke) was mightily impressed that I knew the Astra had won the British Touring Car Championships three times since 1989 (I just wrote an Astra ad; am thus replete with Top Gear type information. I also happen to know that the M25 is 117 miles long.)

It was such a great evening; we were all dead proud of A, even though we're not related, and it was great to meet his extended family, and even his English teacher from school, who shlepped a lot of naches even though she doesn't, probably, speak Yiddish, and all his former and current colleagues. Fab little reception after the lecture, lots of smart people talking about the law, and then of to A's for what was billed as a buffet, but was a wonderful home-cooked style meal, with wine and conversation flowing like the proverbial.

A is evidently a bright young thing whose star is on the ascendent and all that, and it made me think of this.

No comments: