Thursday, November 21, 2002

Whither Celebrity?
Here's something I don't understand - I'm not really a Big Brother watcher, but listen. Whilst all the entrants in BB1, 2 and I think there might even have been 3, but I don't care, weren't necessarily rocket scientists or Florence NIghtingale, they seemed kinda interesting. Attractive. Either interestingly-thick or interestingly machiavellian, but they caught our attention. And they had to lark about on video and get pot-lucked out of an entrance pool of thousands, I'm guessing.

Now, celebrity Big Brother. People who are so far down the alpha-beta-celebrity food chain, that they all look vaguely familiar, but aren't. Like, I know Les Dennis does something, I just don't know what it is. Or was. There'll like double-DD celebrities: soon the depth of their un-celebritidom will be higher than my bra cup size. Which I'm not telling you anyway. And I'm presuming that they've had to really cast around to get this motley crew; rumours abounded of someone else from Take That who I'd actually heard of, but no. Mark Owen sounds like a guy I used to get the 157 bus from school with, and is about as interesting. Less, possibly.

So here's the thing: there's an inverse proportional relationship between the level of your celebrity, and your interest-quotient. Because these people are damn. Dull. And the theory means that as more and more people crave celebrity, and consequently become less interesting because they have reached their fifteen-minute nirvana so stop reading newspapers/gossiping/being interesting, the world will become duller and duller till we all switch off our television sets and do something less boring. (Whoops, showing my age, there).

No comments: