Thursday, December 19, 2002

Manchester, So Much to Answer For
In the words of the song (incidentally, when I was at Manchester University, Morrisey's auntie worked in the refectory. People used to point and stare).

So yesterday, after finally agreeing my new job - I start in the middle of February - I hopped on a train, Manchester-bound, to surprise my Dad for his birthday. I fitted in a lot of stuff: hanging out with my Mum, getting my haircut (in a place where I have, sporadically, been getting my hair cut since I was 18), admiring my brother and sister-in-law's new house, and my sister and brother-in-law's new TV and lounge.

Oh, and I'm still here. I'm sitting at my sister's computer, checking my mail, and going to do some (copywirting) work before I get a lunchtime train. There are many advantages to this way of life, but I'll talk about my job in a minute.

Surprising my Dad was great - my Mum booked a table for seven at Heathcotes, in town, which turned out not to be a surprise, because she left a note on my Dad's desk that said "Heathcotes, 7.30, Wednesday." My Mum persuaded me to call my Dad on the way there, about 7ish, and pretend I was still in London and just say happy birthday, and I found it quite hard not to giggle. I guess neither me nor my Mum will make it in M15.

Heathcotes is very Mad-chester media trendy - apart from us. My brother described it as media folk with too much money on their hands, and it does have that feel about it; I half expected to see the cast of any number of BBC Manchester shows. Anyway, we had a great evening, and I got up at 6am to say goodbye to everyone. Good practice for getting a job.

No comments: