Sunday, December 22, 2002

OK, I'm here at Limmud. Got up at the crack of dawn - 7am - got on a coach, arrived here at twelve-ish, and I'm already mindblown with intellectual activity. Heard Robert Fisk on Monitoring the Centres of Power - surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with nearly everything he said. He's a very powerful, entertaining speaker, and clearly put together a talk that was dedicated to ensuring that all right-thinking left-leaning Jews couldn't argue with him. I still suspect that his premise is that the State of Israel shouldn't exist.

Followed that with Norman Lebrecht on Writing About Jews: a little disappointing after Fisk's gargantuan intellect, and seemingly based on the context of UK Jews being "embarassed by the creators in their midst." Which I don't buy - that's a post-war "shhh, don't rock the boat approach" that younger people just don't even understand.

Run into a hundred and one old friends and acquaintances, and am already feeling slightly Limmud-ed out. But I have brought my trainers - planning to go for a run every morning. Let's see if I can stick to it.

No comments: