Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Phones, Phones and Automobiles
So Sunday, in mitten of everything (which is Yiddish for "in the middle of everything" but has a slightly stressful, the-Russians-are-coming feel to it), my phone stopped working. Landline, DECT phone. For some reason, the handset kept saying - OK, not literally saying - cannot communicate with base station. Even when it was like on top of it. I reset it, and put new batteries in, and did everything I knew how to do, and then just thought, it's three years old, it's died, it's time to move on. Although, I'm never sure where dead technology goes.

Created all manner of telecoms hassle - my other landline, by my bed, usually has the ringer switched off, but when I switched it on, it was a continous ring, so I decided just to have no ring, and pick up the phone ocassionally to see if I have voicemail. Not exactly convenient when you're in the middle of negotiating a job offer. I got out my old power-cut phone, as I think of it. It's a generic trimphone circa 1973, that used to be in my parents New Room (a room that hasn't been new since about the same time) - so it still works after thity years, unlike my new-fangled tech. There's a point there, somewhere. Always have a back up.

So I did a little websurfing, and first thing Monday, ordered a new DECT phone/answerphone combo from BT, the BT3016, at the discounted price of £69.99 as it has been superceded by a BT4016, but I have no desire to text from my landline. Thank god. They promise faithfully that it will be delivered next day (today, Tuesday).

Monday afternoon, my Samsung phone miraculously comes back to life. This morning, as I left for work at the crack of dawn, I taped careful instructions to the door about where to deliver my new phone if I'm out, and to call my mobile if there's no one around.

Tonight - get back, no phone. Probably by the time it arrives my Samsung phone will have died again and I'll be delighted that I demonstrated such foresight, but for now, I'm just kinda pissed off.

No comments: