Sunday, January 19, 2003

Barmitvah Boy
No, not the Jack Rosenthal extravaganza, but my cousin's coming of age. Edited hilights, as I have a bundle of people coming over for bagels in a moment, and the water board have, in their wisdom, chosen to turm off our water without giving us notice (my neighbour is currently "having a conversation with them" on the phone).

Had a great weekend; friendly synagogue, my cousin's R & M had fabulous, largely creative/professional style friends, who I really enjoyed talking to, hung out with my (immediate) family, which I don't get to do very often, and then last night was a sefardi-style meal (all my favourite humous/aubergine/couscous type bits) with klezmer music, and dancing, and a bloke going round cutting out people's sillouettes (I declined). I felt very abenon (entirely unsure of spelling: but means respected, sorta) because I was seated with the celebrant's immediate family and all sorts of other interesting people to boot. Sample conversational soundbite: "Jews are like other people, just more so."

Also met all manner of interesting folk - pension people, housing association people - who, if I were Taking The Job, would be great conference speakers. I feel a little sad that the networking bit that I like is the piece I'll miss most. Oh well.

Got back 1230ish, ended up chatting with two sets of neighbours for half an hour, going out to get bagels, and getting to bed far too late for someone of my advancing years. Oh well.

No comments: