Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Creativity, Nirvana and a Laugh on the Circle Line
So there I am standing on the platform at Mansion House tube, and I glance up and see the most ridiculous forty-eight-sheet poster across the tracks, telling me that Taiwan has the fourth largest technology industry in the world, and is a haven of innovation and value. Or, as the China External Development Council call it, INNOVALUE.

Of course once I saw the poster, coupled with a fabulously compelling image of some acrobat diving out of a laptop screen, a very common sight, I immediately decided to pull all my hi-tech production out of other economies - I was just about to do a deal with Guam - and contract with Taiwan. Why not? They offer both innovation and value, and that’s just what I was looking for in my hi-tech goods supply chain. Lucky I saw the ad – and it was the exclamation marks that got me - or I might have maintained my supplier arrangement with a less innovative, more costly world economy, and we all know that leads to mixed dancing. Or at the very least a write down in the third quarter.

Who pays for this stuff? Who buys such untargeted media? Who writes this crap? Here am I offering clients good strategic thinking and clear communication, and some clowns are getting paid for… well, something that amused me, anyhow.

No comments: