Friday, February 14, 2003

Make Love Not War
I know it's Valentine's Day (curiously abbreviated to VD) because when I was in Paperchase - a stationery shop for cool people who never got out of their pre-teen paper fetish - yesterday, there was a queue about forty people long, and they even had bags printed with special hearts, so were expecting some serious business. And when I called La Brocca to book for last night, yesterday afternoon, the guy on the phone was releived that I wasn't desperately trying to book for tonight, for which they've been booked for months.

Tomorrow's the Stop The War Demo. I've found myself getting quite emotional reading the website; the sense that there are thousands and thousands of individual groups and people all desperately hoping and praying for the same non-outcome makes me feel like I'm not alone. But I want to go on the march non-politically - ie, I don't believe in war in a naive, old-fashioned way. And this is clearly a political demonstration, and like the last rally, seems inexplicably linked with Israel/Palestine. Viz: "We campaign against an attack on Iraq and for a free Palestine" (SOAS Stop the War Group). I don't really get why the two are linked, and I'm not prepared to go on a march that has an underlying anti-Israel feel to it.

And, yes, I have sent a valentine, I'm just not saying who to.