Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Real Women Have Curves
And I'm not talking about me. Real Women Don't Wear Plaid. Real Women Tell No Tales. We all know this.

Great, great movie. I laughed, I cried, I recognised some of the cultural stereotypes. Ish. Based on a play, it does show some of the cracks, and has something of the Greek Tragedy, "haven't seen my English teacher for years, oh here he is" feel about it. America Ferrera is great as the lead, Ana, and the tension between old-country just-got-off-the-boat mentality and the sassy everydayness of the brave new world. I haven't seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but I'm guessing it has some of the same cultural stereotypes, and it has something of the feel of Kissing Jessica Stein, too (imperfect woman, pushy monther).

Niche market movie for the multicultural-me-too generation. I might even go and see it again.

No comments: