Thursday, March 27, 2003

Art Deco update
Was (almost) first in the queue this morning, collecting my brand-spanking new (gift from M) Friend of the V&A membership. Great exhibition: covers the influences of the deco style, rebuilds the Rhulmann room from the 1925 exhibition, and the original entrance to the Strand Palace Hotel (not seen since it was almost destroyed in 1969). For my tastes, would have had more twenties clothes (there was a fantastic showcase of post-Vionnet thirties bias-cute dresses) - there was only one "flapper" dress, which was originally on show in the 1925 exhibition, and I would have had more "mainstream stuff" - the furniture and mid-market jewellery of the era. But I'll be back.

In fact, now I am a friend, if any fellow Deco-lovers want to see the exhibit, providing - if we don't already know each other - you pass a rigorous e-mail security questionnaire (that's mostly for the benefit of my family-readers, who are bound to say "how can you meet someone you don't know?), let's do it. Mail me.

No comments: