Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Good Customer Service Karma
Friday, my 8310 finally packs up for good. For a coupla months it's been all odd - in the middle of any important conversation it would randomly stop reading the SIM card, and the battery life was getting silly. And of course it's always had that stupid text-message bug where it crashes when you press send. It's like they fixed the squashy screen problem from the 8210, but gave you a new bug instead. I figured I couldnt be bothered to sort it, but then Friday it stopped both ringing and vibrating - the only way you could tell someone was calling was by looking at the phone.

That's not good, really. I called Customer Service, and they put me through to diagnostics (AKA asked me a bunch of questions), and then told me my phone was defective. Like, DUH. That's why I called. They would replace it but, I don't have any insurance, so it's either £X00 for a new phone, or £70 one-off insurance fee to replace it and go on the insurance plan with a £2 monthly fee.

But I know this game - I'm your telecoms fairy godmother, really. I was so sure my phone came with insurance in July, because that's what they told me. So I just said those magic words "I'll have to leave Orange, then, if ....", and they put me through to the rentention department, who waived the £70, and sent out a phone the next day. Same model of course, still can't text. BUt good karma, nonetheless. You know when you're poised for lots of yelling and shouting and then you just get what you want anyway?

No comments: