Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Realise I have been brief to the point of boring, recently. It's not that I haven't been doing anything, honest. More that I've been... oh, so busy.
  • Chicago The Movie - as an offical twenties/thirties person, I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. It's fun, but unlike the stage play, where the sheer energy of live performance keeps you enthralled, despite it's perfection and cleverness, I got bored. I picked up my voicemail during the court scene. It's very cold - it's a satire on celebrity with songs, and that didn't really keep me going. Great costumes, though.
  • Purim Megillah/Shpeil
  • Limmud - did a couple of Limmud-style things recently, that made me realise quite what a fabulous organisation it is. I'm honoured to be involved.
  • J & A's party - was just about to write that folk played Titanic-esque music, when I realised that's what I said last time they had a party. More DJing this time, from a host of talented proto-DJs, and J took video on his camera and put it up on the screens, so you could see the party like in two dimensions. Man.
  • Friends staying for the weekend - Yand B came to hang out, and I made totally-steamed food on Friday night, but made up for it with a mezze extravaganza on Saturday.
  • Aimee Mann - at the venue formerly known as the Hammersmith Appolo, but now branded like everything else in the world. She's great, but such a huge venue is at odds with her intimate, soul-ly sound. Last night of the tour, so she was very laid-back and uber-chatty between songs. I'd like to hang out with her, although that seems unlikely.
  • Mslexia course - as part of the Spit-Lit week, celebrating women's writing, I went on an afternoon course about how to pitch your book to agents, which was fascinating. For both the insights, and the complete characters there. There was an older women - she "shared" that she was 85, but she only looked 83 - who wore tights that looked like fish scales and had clearly lost most of her marbles.
  • Fabulous fondue - girls night in last week, best cheese fondue I've ever made. Jaq jetted in for the evening (no, obviously she was here already) - we giggled, guzzled, and put the world to rights. Wasn't even that much alcohol (apart from a ton of kirsch in the fondue).
  • Maid in Manhattan - girl movie par excellence, and I mean that in a good way. Fast-paced, funny, great script, girl-power ridden, J-Lo is great, even is she does have a stupid name. There's two interesting things that grabbed me - the opening line is where she tells her son he can "google on" something at school, which was the same week I read about google trademarking their name, and allegedly suing infringers. Wonder if they got permission. Also, on the bus she's reading the Drama of Being a Child, which synchronistically, I had been discussing with B the previous weekend. Great, great, girl movie, loved it.

I should say more about these - this is just a note. I'll fill in when I get back from my meeting.

No comments: