Monday, April 21, 2003

Ooh, I could crush a grape
Still in Manchester. Saw Blue Crush last night with my sister - it's kinda Pretty Woman meets a sports (surf) movie, with a comedy overweight black character thrown in. Cool soundtrack.

A little like Adaptation, Blue Crush is also based on an article by Susan Orlean - this article, in fact. (Isn't the internet wondrous? In 1987 I would have had to go to the library for about three weeks to find that out.) Side stuff: apparently, Jason Kottke designed her website, and kept a little weblog for her about Adaptation the movie. Funny how famous people find each other. Maybe they were like in High School together, or something?

The photography is incredible: I've never seen inside a wave. And here's something I didn't know: Saturday Night Fever was based on a piece of journalism by Nik Cohn about how working class kids blow everything on a saturday night out. You live and learn. Except that it later turned out to be a fake - the piece of writing, that is.

The script sucks in a high-school girlie style: Way? No way? Oh, that's cool. You know the kind of thing. And some of the characterisations are completely two dimensional. And no-one wears socks, even with proper shoes. It's not like that in Cheadle, I tell ya. But I'm being negative here: it's a fun chick-flick, and I have to admit I had a tear in my eye at the end. But you could wait for video.

No comments: