Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Tired and Emotional
So, don't ask me why, but my upstairs neighbour decided to defrost her freezer at 1am this morning. Her kitchen's over my flatmate's bedroom, and J later said that for about an hour before it happened, there was loud banging and scraping, and she was thinking about going upstairs to ask them to be a bit quieter, when it started raining through the ceiling.

J banged on my door and woke me up, and in something of a daze, we found buckets, moved the bed, stuff like that. It was a lot of water. And raining through my lovely new lightfittings, although I'm sure they'll dry out. J banged on our neighbours door, but they couldn't hear us. After about ten minutes, I called them on the phone, and L came down and said "that's terrible, that's terrible, the flats are so badly built." I went upstairs with her, she said she was defrosting the freezer, and there was maybe an inch of water right across their kitchen floor. Her boyfriend was mopping it up.

Apparently, their freezer defrosting methodology requires (a) to start in the middle of the night on a school night, and (b) to just leave the freezer to defrost with a tea-towel in front of it to mop up a whole freezer's worth of water. I said a few fairly polite choice words (which J overheard and agreed were reasonable), as I'm not that great when I've just woken up.

As it was still raining, J and I made up the sofabed, and she moved her stuff, and we put notes over the lights to remind us not to turn them on on the morning. I went to bed about 1.45, but didn't get to sleep till about 4am. Mostly because I was fuming: accidents happen, sure, but I was just pissed off my neighbour didn't apologise, and when I - perhaps ill advisedly - mentioned the noise problem from their flat (he's a DJ), she said there was no soundproofing. Implication: I'm the person being unreasonable.

Now I have to deal with our nightmare managing agents for an insurance claim, and have a soggy bedroom to show to prospective new flatmates.

Can I have some advice, please? And sympathy, if you have any? How do I get my neighbour to be reasonable?

No comments: