Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Oh, I'm really busy. I'm not complaining, it can be a bit feast-or-famine when you're freelance, and I've been lucky enough that all my clients have come back to me for more work. It's just now I have two live projects with a deadline for last/this Friday. And one of them requires regular - lengthy' yesterday's was 93 minutes - conferences calls with an American bloke who's been on active listening courses, who spends most of the time "reflecting" what we've said, just to "be sure he's listening well". Jeez. And now, as is the way with projects, the CEO has come in at the last minute with changes I have to do. And by the time I haggle about them, I could have done them, and I don't want to be a walkover because it's not in the contact, and they keep promising me more work. Oh, I dunno.

By contrast, the other project is run by a guy who doesn't have voicemail, responds to emails in 72 hours, and is rarely in the office, he's "working from home" but can't call me back till the next day. Urgency is not his middle name.

And now client C (new) has appeared, which is cool, and I'll be spending three days a week in an office in Queen's Park (which is a nice walk from my house), for a few weeks, anyway.

So a lot's happened, honestly, I just haven't had time to write.

  • Saw Danny Glover, the Join Me progenitor on TV, and a bit of judicious googling told me that he's Dave Gorman's best mate. So not a bloke in Deptford who just woke up one morning.... but a stand-up comedian who wants some coverage. Fair enough.
  • N's fancy dress party: anything that was fashionable between 1885 and 1985. Inspired.
  • Superlative chilli (X's recipe), with real chocolate, but low fat
  • Sunny Wimbledon garden with creative musician types
  • Whale Rider - did I mention that already? Great film. I really got the disonnance between the old traditions and the modern world.
  • Ed's Easy Diner. Do I have a story to tell you, when I have more time
  • Might have found a flatmate
  • Going to Manchester for a stonesetting and a haircut on Sunday. Important to get your priorities right.
  • No comments: