Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Sick of Customer Service Religions
So after two year's of using an IBM ThinkPad as my main machine - my laying-off gift from my last full-time (dot-com-stylee) job - I've decided to get new kit. Decided on an Evesham desktop, with an LG flatscreen monitor, and probably an iBook for handbag stuff. But the shit I went through with the customer service personnes was unreal: prices in dollars they wouldn't let me pay, speccing a monitor that didn't have a DVI to go with the machine, telling me the Phillips monitors were identical to the LG monitors, just badged, when they're worse, telling me that a 1X512 chip would be slower than 2X256 and then changing their minds. There was a time this morning when I nearly told them to take a running jump, as someone (who wouldn't tell me her job-title or responsibility, merely that "she answers the MD's phone, that's all you need to know" reneged on a previously quoted price. Sheesh. In the end, F gave me great advice: don't get hassled about how bad their service appears to be, just buy it. Monitor from ebuyer was 20 squid cheaper than Dabs, too. Deed done.

No comments: