Tuesday, December 09, 2003

For Whom The Bell Tolls
I'm so happy the M6 toll road's opened this morning. I think we don't pay enough in taxes, and here's a great way to shore up the UK's dying infrastrucuture.

I used to drive up to Manchester a lot, but about three years, I - naively - went up on a Friday afternoon as a surprise, left home at 2pm, thought I'd get there at 5pm, ended up getting there are midnight. Warned off, forever.

However, I can't help wondering, looking at the marketing communication, whether the M6 toll is a "bitter pill to swallow". And if "the new M6 Toll is the most exciting development in British transport history for many years", it's only because some transport geek ought to get out more. Sure, it might help congestion, but 27 miles isn't going to change the country, and it changes public services. Do you have more money to go on the "privatised" road? Great.

I think we should all do it. I think there should be a section of the Kilburn High Road we charge people to drive along, and make a separate traffic jam while people queue to pay, fumbling for their pound coins. Or alternatively, we could pay a vast privatised, once-public sector technology company vast sums of money to fail at collecting the toll. Sounds familiar?

No comments: