Thursday, January 29, 2004

Book Binge

Just finished Once in A House On Fire (Andrea Ashworth), about a young woman growing up on the wrong side of the tracks in Manchester (Rusholme, to be precise). Andrea and I have had very different lives, but we're about the same age, and she was in the sixth form at Xaverian the same time I was at Manchester High. Maybe I saw her on the bus? She perfectly recreates the idioms and dialectes of a certain sort of Manchester, and it was un-put-downable in a slightly addictive, confessional way.

After much cajoling, I'm having another go at Everything Is Illuminated, and I'm liking it. Maybe even loving it. He's so smart. He's got so much to say.

I like to read books by authors who look identical, and luckily I found out last week that Jonathan Lethem and Jonathan Safran Foer have probably never been seen in the same room. Check this: overeducated, slightly pallid, dead brainy, semi-thinning hair, glasses. Kinda a Jewish look, pre-Woody, New Yorkish. Sadly, I don't know either of them personally, but I've really into The Fortress of Solitude: it's identity, race, Hip Hop, I mean what more could you want from a book?

Of course, I'm too busy to read Getting Things Done (highly recommended by one of the most efficient people I know), or Change Your Life in Seven Days (Paul McKenna). But I should.

Oh, and I'm finally reading The Watchmen.

I know what you're thinking - how do I have time to do any work? Beats me. I think I'm just in super-adrenaline get everything done mode. And you need to switch off sometimes.

No comments: