Friday, January 16, 2004

Recent movies/happenings:

American Splendour - at the Swiss Cottage Odeon (I was a little surprised that my cinema companion B left fifteen minutes before the end of the movie, and I've not hear from him since). I think he didn't like that it was about comics. I loved it. It was a little worthy, but interesting in that you get animation and real film together, and it works. And you get Harvey as an animation, and an actor, and the real him. The mediated life, eh? It put me in mind of the current discussion on weblogs: here's a guy in the 70s making comics about his everyday life as a filing clerk, and what it means for his friends and coworkers to be in his "art"... kinda like the blog thing, no?

Fab night with N at the Highgate where we covered all manner of stuff - intellectual, current affairs - but my most fascinating new piece of information is a solution to the firm-calves-tight-boots conundrum. The secret? Do them up before you pull them on. You read it here first.

Missed Amira Hass because I had a cold. An un-happening, then.

Last night, Jonathan Lethem's book reading at the LRB bookstore. Nice guy. He had good stuff to say about Philip K Dick, too.

Last and not least: Lost in Translation. What a great movie. I'm still thinking about it. It's about dislocation, outsiderness, and being western in Tokyo is a metaphor for that. More, when I've thought of more.

No comments: