Monday, January 26, 2004

So Saturday, having a surpisingly-free-weekend after my Gatwick debacle, I woke up early and decided to go to shul. During the service, I'm daving with serious kavanah (of course), and an old friend comes in, looks at me, and she starts gesticulating, at my stomach (flatter), boobs (lighter), overall body (smaller). I was embarassed: I mean, I have lost weight, but when I last saw her (in Tescos, pre-Xmas), she was going on about how big I used to be, whereas I was clearly labouring under the misapprehension that I was curvy/zaftig/womanly, and I wouldn't want to mess with my own denial.

In the kiddush, I start telling an old friend this story, and we laugh, and then her aunt, who's in town for the weekend, looks at me, and says, "but you have a very bubbly figure, don't worry about your size."

So much for my new slim-body and self-perception, then. Lettuce eaters.

No comments: