Wednesday, March 24, 2004

I hate IMAP. I keep saying this, in the vain hope that someone geekier-than-moi will tell me what I can do so that I can (a) get my email folders on multiple PCs and (b) not have to reboot Outlook twice a day, (c) synchronise with my Palm. I'm not committed to Outlook, it's just what I've got.

Times like this, I wish I had an IT department, although three (full time) jobs ago, I was in constant dispute with the IT Director because his team could never do the things we wanted, and he used to say we had to run the business the way the IT department said. And I said surely the IT department should run the business the way the people in the business want it. We wrangled for two years, and then I ended up project managing a pre-SAP implementation because he didn't believe in ERP. Then I got offered the IT Director's job behind closed doors (I suspect because he was really really good at IT, but didn't get the business, and I got the business, and was better-than-average at IT, and they'd realised that was all they needed), and I thought "do I want to be the person at the end of the phone listening to the person who's me now rant about how they can't get what they want from the system?" I said no. And ran away from my SAP implementation to start a sandwich business. No, really.

No comments: