Monday, March 22, 2004

The reason I'm awake so early (apart from having more work than I can handle in waking hours right now), is that my friend arrived from Oz late last night. I was coming back from Manchester, so I collected her from her friends' house in Belsize Park, but she was delayed, so I had a lovelycupoftea with them, and then we had another one when she arrived, and by the time we'd got back here, and I'd showed her around, and she'd showered me with many purple gifts, it was late. I know she was planning to take it easy this morning, wake up whenever she felt like it, and maybe go into town later. She's in town for a family wedding, and a big family reunion.

Seven-thirty, the phone goes. A woman with an accent that says: I've been through a lot: don't mess with me.

caller: Hello, sorrytophonesoearly, can we speak to H?
me: I'm sorry, I think she's asleep.
caller: then you must wake her up.
me: I know she had a late night last night, I'd really rather not wake her up.
caller: you must. she will want to speak to me.
me: is there a mobile number she can call you on later?
caller: we are leaving the house now. we have to speak to her.
me: I feel very nervous about waking her. She sounds very asleep (whatever this means: I know I'm losing this phone battle. This woman is not to be messed with)
caller: Don't be so nervous. Wake her.
me: (acquiescing) OK. Who are you?

No comments: