Friday, March 26, 2004

Yesterday: my client's client talked the kind of crap that only consultants can. Example: "we're hardwiring ROI into the business plan." Like, isn't ROI what business is about, sweedie? And he talked at me for 90 minutes (which makes it sound like an internet business plan, I realise) in a generic way that made me think "have you said anything at all?" Apart from when he .... Oh, I hate meetings like that. Although, to be fair, I did learn a lot, it's just a very vague, boundaryless area.

Next meeting blown out (I'm so efficient that I arrange back to back meetings, but that doesn't always work out), so I did a little shoppage - obviously - had a Costbucks, and met D for a movie: Along Came Polly. It's very, very funny, in a written-by-a-team-of-Americans way. And because the test of a movie now is "were all the best bits in the trailer you've already seen, or does it still grab you?" it's a good movie. We laughed. We admired Jennifer Aniston's over-Atkinsed, toned body. We acknowledged the subtle - some would say stereotypical - characterisation of Reuben as an uptight, risk-averse Jewish guy with a more-than-delicate stomach. We laughed at Polly as the "I'm so unable to commit I can't even finish this sent-" stereotype. But it was cute, really: great cameos, and the obligatory John Hughes reference, which had us both back in 1985. Teenagehood: it can only be a good thing. Followed by supper at Satsuma, which is like Wagamama, but less worthy, and with orange, obviously.

Because I am currently burning the candle at both ends, got home and made my bread, left it to rise, and made my Moroccan dried fruit salad.

Tonight's menu, should you care:
  • homemade humous, with za'atar and toasted pinenuts
  • home made flatbreads with za'atar
  • (am I going a little heavy on the za'atar?)
  • (slightly sweet) Moroccan couscous, with the harif (hot sauce) on the side.
  • dried fruit salad, a la Momo, except different because I couldn't remember what was in it
  • ice cream
  • mint tea, probably, to complete the theme

    Wadya reckon? Should I make a salad? Sometimes, my Mum asks me what I'm making for Friday night (I don't eat meat, and chicken is pretty standard Friday night fare), and whatever I say, she generally says "with what?" - as if my entire culinary repertoire might only be a side dish.

    I'm rambling. Hello, Mum.
  • No comments: