Wednesday, April 21, 2004

About two years ago, I heard a home truths programme on Radio 4 about family whistles. Through the wonder of the internet, here it is.

(Side issue: my college years were spent listening to John Peel discover new bands. He has a mesmeric voice.)

Monday, I'm walking on the heath with a woman from my writing class, and she walks past a house where she says her son is having dinner. She does an unusual whistle. I enquire whether it is her family's whistle, and a conversation ensued about the hows, whys and wherefores of same.

Not something my family ever did. We would have like: a family food. A family phone call. A family ringtone? We were never walking up mountains and needing to find each other. Anyway, people have mobiles for that, nowadays, don't they? If you have reception.

No comments: