Monday, April 19, 2004

Capturing the Friedmans - I may or may not be disturbed

Without wishing to give the game away, this is a disturbing/fascinating movie/documentary. Saturday night at the Curzon Soho, late movie. With butterscotch malts at Ed's Easy Diner thrown in.

"I don't know. I can't say too much about it. We were a family." That's what the mother says.

It's really a movie about what the truth is, or isn't. It's disturbing. The family is barking. And Jewish. The men are arrogant, and balding. The story's: scary. Serious googling when I got home turned up this: IMDB's user comments, which are way more lucid and thoughtful than usual. Debbie Nathan (freelance journalist - don't read this if you haven't seen the film yet) talk about interesting stuff. And also some stuff I've lost now about how the director himself edited the story, and that other people were involved, but it's not in the movie.

Food for thought.

No comments: