Monday, April 26, 2004

Tuesday night, went to dinner at some new friends who live in a fab apartment on the site of the old Globe Theatre. They are so urban, so zone one. If I had a job at the FT, I'd definitely want to live there.

A and R (and no, they're not in the music business) made me a low carb feast, which was an exact replica of a meal they had at the North London Tavern. This is what I think is a seedy pub down the road from me, but they say is now an inexpensive gastropub. Creamed cauliflower is exactly like mashed potatoes. They also introduced me to some no-carb American chocolate, I've forgotten the name of, and we made a little spreadsheet of a business they might get into, and surfed the web, drank great wine, talked and talked.

I love how this happens: A's mum was on old boss of mine, and ultimately my career mentor, who went back to the US a few years ago. We stayed in touch. She emailed me and said her son and his wife were coming to London for a couple of years, and we should hang out, because we'd get on really well.

I think, sometimes people say that kind of thing, but it was completely true. They came round for dinner a couple of months ago, with some other friends of mine, and it felt like we'd all known each other for years.

I like meeting cool new people. Especially if they live outside of the hallowed N* and NW* postcodes.

No comments: