Sunday, May 02, 2004

Here's a thing: remember when, on Friday, I was listening to the Scissor Sisters? And I remembered what it was like being thirteen/fourteen - that eighties hit, hit me hard? I wrote about a bunch of people I've probably not seen or thought of in pushing twenty years.

I wrote this:
"Jonnie C is wearing makeup, and we all think he's got something to tell us. He turns out to be the MD of an investment bank."

When I wrote that, I knew that Jonnie C wasn't in banking, because he got in touch with me off Friends Reunitied a year or so ago, ann we exchanged a few reminiscatory emails. He lived round the corner, now as then, although our corners have moved two hundred miles. I just thought, give the guy a little anonymity, if I say exactly what he does, it might be a bit identifying, and he might come across it and not like it. Not that there's any reason I could have offended him, I figured.

I thought about him, fondly, for a few minutes. Wondered what he's up to. if he sorted out [something person he told me when he emailed].

This morning my sister called me and told me he died. On Friday. Cancer.

I think I'm in shock. I hate it when young people die. And also, I think, I didn't think about him for years, decades even, and then the moment I think about him, this. Sheesh. So, I still think fondly of him, and wish his family long life. Funeral's today, apparently.

No comments: