Wednesday, May 19, 2004

The Truth About Now

Modernity is all about the art of information retrieval. It's no longer about actually knowing something, it's about knowing a man who can. We are the librarians (sorry) information scientists of our own lives. Like I have 3,000 people in my Outlook contacts, and 2,500 posts on my 260,000 word weblog. I have hundreds and thousands of word and excel documents that I have to use a search facility to find anything.

And today I made a linklog. I gave up on bookmarks a while ago, and for a while it’s just been a random collection of explorer history files, drafts in blogger and my head. That’s never good. (Blogger user aside: since the redesign, I realised you can’t see more than 300 draft posts (and I have way more, I’m guessing), and you can’t see the date anyway. I feel like it’s in beta, frankly).

The best thing you can learn in the twenty-first century is (1) how to categorise sensibly, (2) how to pack a small bag, (3) how to talk to anyone, (4) how to write a list. Everything else is so much commentary, white noise, ephemera. Do those four things, and you can do anything.

No comments: