Sunday, June 27, 2004

About... last night, sleb spotting, and nothing in particular

A Kilburn-Cricklewood-West-Hampstead triangle kinda night. So curry in my new preferred curry house, the Khana buffet (remember when the Crescent Tandoori went out of business? I haven't quite got over it).

As we're paying the bill, the waiter comes up to me, smiling.

Him: Hello lady, tell me, you have a sister who lives near here?
Me: No (I know for a fact my sister lives in Cheadle)
Him: Oh. Just that lady come in here very often, she is just like you
Me: (realisation dawning) She has the same hair as me?
Him: Yes, and lady she has your way of talking, and moving -
Me: and she's a little slimmer than me?
Him: Yes
Me: Is she that actress of East Enders? (I know she lives round here, as I sometimes bump into her in the gym)Him: Not watching East Enders, lady, I don't know
Me: Must be her, I'm always getting mistaken for her

And as the restaurant owner shakes my hand as we leave, he tells me he'll be sure and ask her.

Later, drinks (butterscotch cocktails, to die for) at Brondesage, and then got home late, and thought, wonder what she's up to.

Guess what? I'm not a regular Sun reader, but she just got engaged. Mazaltov. Know what else is weird? I grew up with a guy called Rob Cowan, but I have no idea what he looks like without hair, so have no idea if this is the Rob Cowan whose parents never understood about the clock springing forward and falling back, and would invariably arrive an hour early or an hour late to pick us for our cheder rota. I heard he's in the music business, but then most of the people I grew up with seem to do some kinda media thing, bizarrely, so that could mean nothing.

Then, I check my mail. I'm signed up for a couple of Jewish dating sites, and one of them has sent me this week's "matches" (ie people their database has deemed I may or may not have something in common with). They are all bald. I'm reading David, 36, from Manchester, accountant, and then I suddenly think "omig!d that's David Cohen that I went on one date with when I was seventeen and was totally in love with, and now he's divorced and HAS NO HAIR."

I was shocked, I can tell you. Must be something in the water in Cheadle.

No comments: