Friday, June 18, 2004

Call *That* Customer Service?

Here's what the (I imagine the soon-to-be-disappeared) receptionist in my optician said to me when I called up to order a three month supply of daily disposable contact lenses:

Her: You have to have an eye test before we can dispense lenses, we can't do it without a prescription. Those are the rules; otherwise something might happen
Me: Oh, OK
Her: When did you last have an eye test?
Me: I don't know - you're my optician, and I call up every three months to get new lenses. Do you have a record?
Her: Yes, it was two and a half years ago. We can't sell you lenses without a test
Me: But you've been doing it for 18 months - you've never mentioned that to me before
Her: Well, everything could look fine, but you could have an infection in your eye, and something terribly damaging could be happening without you even realising. If we sell you the lenses and you damage your eye, you could come back and sue us
Me: Fine, well, why don't I make an appointment (appointment duly made..) Out of interest, do you say that to everyone?
Her: What?
Me: That I should worry about my eyes because something tragic could be happening without me even realising
Her: No, well, it's just a worst-case scenario. We have to protect ourselves.

Time to look for a new optician?

No comments: