Monday, June 28, 2004

I'm writing this while I'm on hold with my mortgage provider. I would estimate that in the last three weeks I've been on hold with my mortgage provider for about an hour and a half.

First off, I couldn't decide (like the rest of the country) what I thought about fixed rates once my last fix came to an end. So I got them to send me three different offers so I could think about it. Then, the one I wanted to really go for, didn't arrive, and I asked them to send it again.

I explored all the moving mortgage companies stuff, and it costs a thousand pounds that probably isn't worth it, including the hassle factor, against what I'll save.

By the time I got the paperwork I needed, it was last week, and there's a cut-off date of the 24th of the month to transfer. I talked to someone charming and helpful (Helen) who said that they could move the cut-off date by one day, if I sent all the paperwork back to them by recorded delivery to arrive on the 25th.

Just called today to check they've got it all, they have, and I'm on schedule to move in August. What about the friendly conversation I had with Helen, I say to Janine? There's no record of it. And Janine's in Leicester and Helen's in Wigan (not that I need to know any of this rubbish) so I can't talk to Helen directly. I pointed out that if they don't move me this month, at their error, it'll cost me a tidy chunk. She'll get back to me.

Feeling today: powerless in the face of the monolithic financial services industry.

No comments: