Thursday, July 22, 2004

Don'tcha love the internet? So I just heard a great little snippet on the Today Pogramme about Benjie Fraser, who's "the managing director" at the Bank of New York, and also a Poet in the City. He's got a reading tonight.

Coupla things - first, I love how most people call someone in the City "the managing director" when in most financial instituations, it's just a job title indicating level, and there could be loads of them. Like once, a friend asked me to go out for dinner because her husband-in-the-city (as opposed to sex) got promoted. So we go to some flashy restaurant, about six of us, and over desert, I ask him how many Vice Presidents there are. And he responds, "on my floor, a hundred and six". But I digress, which is my speciality.

Second, the hook they used on the radio was that "Harold Pinter's going to be there." Two micro-seconds of googlejuice tell me that Harold is Benjie's stepfather. So it's the poetry protexia, rather than any kind of judgement that's making this happen.

I mean, he still might be a good poet. I might try and get tickets. You up for it, S?

No comments: