Wednesday, July 14, 2004

More Tales From the Financial Customer Service Cutting Edge

Thursday, I paid a chunky cheque into my business account. Should arrive in my account by Tuesday. Now I'm all offset mortgage (albeit, in a cock-up, can't really get your money way) I call up today to transfer it to my building society. I am so efficient. The call centre operative at my bank tells me that "such a large cheque" (not that large, really, of the magnitude I and other businesses generally pay in) can take up to 14 days to clear. For security reasons. No, she can't say when it'll arrive.

So I call my branch, and my friendly bank manager doesn't call me back. At 5pm, I call again, and speak to his sidekick who tells me that it should be showing on my account, but isn't. Except now it's after 5pm, so the branch is closed. They'll call me back tomorrow.

Because I'm all flexible-offset enabled, I now know exactly how much lost interest this is costing me, too.

If I added up all the money that's technically mine that I can't quite lay my hands on right now, due to the collective cockups of my finance providers, I'd be moderately well off. I've had five letters from Stupid & Pointless plc which don't quite address how much interest I've lost by their mistake. But are works of art in themselves. Conceptual, of course.

No comments: