Tuesday, December 14, 2004

A special last-night-of-Chanukah thing, here's My Menorah (if you're at work, turn the sound down).

In the spirit of those tochniot at machaneh where you spent an inordinate amount of time writing words about how great Bnei Akiva was to fit it with some eighties song, I give you the original lyrics: My Sharona.

Aside: I have just shared an amusing five minutes asking two friends for the Hebrew word for song-made-up-for-new-purpose-in-Jewish-youth-movement. I think I may have imagined that this word ever existed. L was a little nervous that I would write on my weblog that he didn't know the word and everyone would know. Which thought had never crossed my mind until he said it. Hello, L.

Second aside: had lengthy conversation with a friend who's an academic over lunch on Shabbat about if you italicize Yiddish/Hebrew words, which I generally have to point out they're not English. As if you didn't know already. She convinced me that it also indicates an otherness, and given that they're (a) not other to me, and (b) generally work-out-able from the context, I have entered a new era where I don't do it anymore.

See. That's just for emphasis. Which is OK. Apparently.

No comments: