Friday, December 10, 2004

There's nothing like Brent Cross Tescos at 1130 on a Thursday night to confirm that there's a Jewish conspiracy.

I looked around, and it was 95% people in kippot and sheitels, or overdressed in the way that only frummers can be, and I thought, my my, everyone here is Jewish.

Then I ran into D. He said I was angry. I didn't feel angry, but then it became clear that he's been reading my blog.

Then I ran into the bloke I queued behind two weeks ago (old, frum, surprised I knew Yiddish) and we smiled at each other, and he didn't know how he knew me (apikorsus that I clearly look, in my trousers etc).

I think cashiers in BX Tescos on a Thursday night should wish people gut shabbes. I felt like saying this to the Asian woman on the till, and then I remembered that I'm always getting into little scrapes, and my new MO is to keep out of things, and not do any good deeds.

Sad, I know. But I feel I've been too nice/taken advantage of, and it's got to stop.

Like today, I was in the Starbucks on New Bond Street with C & M, and the guy in front of me, they wouldn't take his switch card for like £3,79, and then he went and got his friend's credit card, and that didn't work, and he didn't have any cash and he was flustered. I had to stop myself from buying his coffee as a seasonal gesture of goodwill to all men. People.

See, that's how bad things have got. I can't even perform a random act of kindness anymore.

But anyway, freilicher chanukah (tonight was day three). I went to a Chanukah party tonight and there were latkes, and sour cream and chocolate money. I was transported.

No comments: