Friday, December 17, 2004

Wednesday night, I had a bunch of friends coming round for an (informal) dinner. Went to Tescos sixish, did my shopping, came home, did some work, made chili. B and M turned up around 8.45, and we were just chatting and waiting for the others when I get a call from my gym.

I should say here that I (sadly) haven't been to the gym for months because of my ankle, so I was surprised to see The Gym flash up on my phone.

"Hello Sasha, it's The Gym. A guy just called us and said you've lost your wallet in Tescos. He's there now, this is his number."

So I call the guy, and he says he's there now, he found it in the car park, and do I want to come back and collect it? My sensible friend M is mouthing "why doesn't he just hand it in?" but I figure if he has my wallet five minutes away, I should just go and get it. Maybe he wants something for it, I ask my friends. B wants M to go with my because it sounds a weird situation. We talk about taking a bottle of wine, but I just jump in the car.

I call him when I get there, and he's walking out of Tesco, and gives me my wallet and says, with a rather thick Israeli accent that I didn't catch on the phone "check it's all there," and as his wife comes out with her head covered, and pregnant, I look at them in their Ner Yisroel (modern orthodox Hendon shul) get up and think gosh.

I say I'm sure I don't have to look inside, and thank him profusely. He says his wife lost her wallet a few weeks ago and he knows what hassle it is. I ask him if I can give him something, and he says of course not. I say he has good middos, and he smiles a didn't-think-you-were-Jewish smile.

My faith in human nature has been utterly, totally restored.

When I get home 10 minutes after I left, B says "lucky you didn't take the wine."

No comments: