Wednesday, February 23, 2005

What are your personal variables/daily running costs?

So, in the spirit of (a) reviewing my finances, and (b) just geeky, I tried to work out how much it costs me to exist each day.

What I'm talking about here are Personal Variable Costs - travel, newspapers, disposable contact lenses, drugs/coffee/chocolate habits.

I am not including fixed costs - things like rent/mortgage/utility bills etc. I know, this is pretty arbitary, but I'm making the rules here.

I have discovered that it costs me approximately £5.32 a day to exist. This includes lunch once a week when I'm in a client's office, and minimal commuting. Check it out:



And for your delight and delectation - you too can try it out here.

Basic info:
You only write in the grey boxes. You can have daily/weekly/monthly costs all at the same time - so I buy a newspaper for 60p a day, on weekdays, and £1.20 on a weekend.

Drugs/latte/chocolate habit - how much do you spend a day/week on clarityn/cocaine/coffee?

For haircare prodcuts and deodorant, you put in how much you spend, and how many days it lasts.

These are the assumptions I made:
  • Weekly counts only business days, ie 250. Not ideal, I know.
  • Annual counts 50 weeks, allowing for a two week holiday
  • "One off costs" are things like deodorant/shampoo - put in the cost and how many days it lasts for
  • I have assumed you change your toothbrush every six months
  • I have assumed your tube of toothpaste lasts for a little over two months
  • I have assumed your soap/shower gel lasts for a little less than two months

    This is version 1.1 - think of yourself as betatesters. So I'm sure I haven't thought of everything, and I haven't allowed for your girl/boyfriend staying over and using your supplies. Roll-on version two.

    Tell me what you think, please. And no, of course I'm not procrastinating. I made it outside of office hours (OK, OK, I should get out more) and it entertains me.
  • No comments: