Monday, February 13, 2006

Today is Tubishvat, New Year for the Trees. No, really. THere's a lot to celebrate when you're Jewish, although the main thing about today is (a) going to a Tubishvat seder (last night, I didn't, long weekend), and (b) eating four kinds of fruit? Seven kinds? It's been a while, as I've just demonstrated.

Nowadays, it's kinda been hijacked, in a good way, by the environmental/green lobby, and it's all about the universe and the planet and not driving a car and using low-energy lightbulbs. All these things are, of course, traditional Jewish values.

Here's a random photo of the Romanian chief rabbi at their Tubishvat Seder. Nice, because I am about one eighth Romanian, although I take it very seriously and regularly make mamaliga

Tonight, of course, I will be eating Moroccan dried fruit salad in honour of this auspicious day. And because there's some in the fridge.

No comments: