Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I wish it to be known that the wifi at the British Library sucks.

Badly.

So a month or so ago I signed up for £35/month pass, which was expensive but good. Except that after the first logon, it never worked again, and I wasted ages getting in touch with Building Zones trying to get it fixed. I paid a squillion pence to a stupid 0870 number who were unhelpful. But s-l-o-w-l-y.

In the end, I cancelled the £35/month thing, because I was paying for something I couldn't use. But now I'm back at the library this morning, and need to sign up to something else...

So I call the British Library switchboard - carefully avoiding their 0870 ruse) and talk to a woman who says she'll look on the internet for me. To tell me what wifi providers they support. Like I didn't already look. I tell I already looked and she says she might see something I didn't see. She sees an email address. Great. And do I want to give them feedback? No, I say, I just want something that works without wasting my time.

So now, I've signed up for SkypeZones on the vague recollection that they're also in the British Library, as I can't bear doing the whole other crappy thing again.

It seems like being a consumer is really hard work, nowadays. I just want somethng to work.

I am politer in real life. Honestly.

No comments: